Thursday, August 27, 2009

Arriving to Dominica
















Flying into Dominica was a very grueling experience. My travel time was two days; first flying from Chicago to Miami with an overnight layover, Miami to San Juan and finally San Juan to Dominica. All of the flight were spacious and comfortable until the flight to Dominica. We boarded the small American Eagle flight from the outside and we were told that our carry on items had to be put underneath the belly of the plane. I should have known then that the flight would be cramped but I did not realize it until I boarded. I'm not claustrophobic but that plane had me tripping lol. First, I was almost to tall for the plane; my head was literally scraping against the ceiling. Then the aisle were so narrow and there was not enough room for me to comfortably extend my legs. Then to top it off the plane was hot and stuffy. They finally turned on the air condition in route but by then I was aleady distraught. As we approached the island the view was amazing. There were so many trees and plants, nothing but miles and miles of jungle. Once off the plane I was greeted by Ross representatives who made the immigration and customs process relatively easy and worry free. All the students were able to get a free ride from the airport by Ross University. The hour long ride from the airport was crazy. The roads are all winding and bumpy; so if you have motion sickness it is essential you take some type of motion sickness medicine ie. Dramamine otherwise you will be sick. I even felt a little dizzy and I never had anytime of motion sickness. While riding from the airport, I was able to enjoy the beautiful scenery of Dominica. Beautiful bananna, coconut, and avacado trees where everywhere. There were also alot of skinny cows and goats roaming around the streets. Once I arrived to the school, I was brought to my apartment. My apartment is so comfortable and I have everything I need. It's fully furnished with cable, internet, and gas included in the rent. I even have a generator in case the power goes out. I have to pay for electricity separately, but it is a prepaid service. It's like a pre-paid phone service where you have to purchase minutes for it to work. I just walk across street from my apartment to purchase electricity and punch in the code they give me. So everything is going well and I can't wait to see what new adventures I can get into on the island.
~Following my DESTINY~

1 comment:

  1. awwwwwww Candice!
    thats great to hear!
    ooooo that lil flight to Dominica almost sounds like my flight to College Station when i had my interview, it was a tiny plane! cuz the college station airport only has 2 freakin terminals!

    but ur apt situation sounds niiice! i wanna see pics! mine is comin along, i get my couch on sept 5th, i pretty much have everything else tho :)

    ReplyDelete