Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Dominica, The Nature Island



















Dominica is such a beautiful place. The views of the mountains and oceans will take your breath away. I'm really happy that I decided to arrive in Dominica a week before orientation. Ross University's Student Life provided tours for the students and their families to enjoy all that Dominica has to offer. The first tour I was able to attend was a trip to Roseau, the capital of Dominica. Roseau is a tourist city and this was evident by the huge cruise ships at dock on the ocean and the many souvenir tents. The city was very crowded and busy and unlike where I live Portsmouth. While in Roseau, I purchased a fan for my apartment because I was told running a fan uses up alot less electricity than the air conditioner. This is one of the best tips I've recieved on the island because I'm saving a tremendous amount of electricity. After Roseau, we traveled to Screw's Sulfur Spa which is a famous hot water spring in Dominica. The water in the springs appears dirty but it's actually just the sulfur that turns the water brown. The springs were refreshing and I felt rejuvinated after soaking in them. The next day, Saturday, August 29th was quite adventurous. I woke up at 5:15 am to go to the market at 6am. I had such a great time learning about all of the local foods for sale. I was even able to try raw sugar cane for the first time; it was very delicious. I will definitely be back to the market to purchase some food as soon as I get my refund check. Later on that day we went on a hike through the rainforest to view Syndicate Falls. Syndicate Falls is one of the 364 water falls in Dominica. The hike was described as a light hike into the forest but in reality it was intense. We were told to wear footwear that can get wet because we would be crossing two rivers. I thought the water would be very shallow but the water was at least up to my calves. The hike was ok until we got deeper into the forest. We encountered alot of boulders which were very slippery and difficult to climb on because of the rain. It was a bit frustrating but in the end it was worth it because the waterfall was spectacular. They next day I had the opportunity to visit the Carib Territory and the Emerald Pool. The Carib Territory is home to the natives indigenous to Dominica. While there, I had a slice of cassava bread which they make themselves and is a staple part of their diet. Next up was the Emerald Pool. This is an oasis in the middle of the forest. The trees seemed to surround the whole area as if it was building. I could barely see the sunlight peeking through the trees because they were so tall and lush. The pool was indeed green and very beautiful. The last tour was a boat ride down the Indian River which was one of the sites that Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed. The boats were a bit small and it seemed as if you could tip over easily. On the tour, I saw several crabs walking along the river banks and beautiful trees that appear to wrap around the whole area with it's roots. I learned on the tour that people in Dominica eat iguana and that it taste like chicken. I would like to try it one day lol. Ross has given me the opportunity to engage in activities I would have never dreamed of doing. Everyone visiting Dominica should experience the beautiful sites the island has to offer. These tours helped me get a better understanding of the island and help me relax before I start medical school officially.

~Following My Destiny~

No comments:

Post a Comment